Tuesday 31 December 2013

Designer Interview - Rebekah Evelyn

As part of the Indie Design Gift-A-Long I have had the pleasure of interviewing Rebekah Evelyn, a 16 year-old who has recently emerged on the design scene. I only wish I had started that young!


Where do you get inspiration from for your designs?
This is a question I always find hard to answer. Almost anything can be inspiration for a design-my family, friends, nature and that person wearing knitwear on their errands! I often come up with things in the middle of the night… and hope I remember them when I wake up. :)

What is your favourite type of item to knit and/or design?
Another tough one. :) I find myself drawn to fingerless gloves or mittens a lot, even though I enjoy making a good variety of items.


Diagonal Rib Mitts

Do you have anything you are working up the skills/courage/whatever to create?
Garment design. I think I’ll just have to take a leap of faith. Having a tech editor eases my fears, but I do have to get the pattern together first.

Do you have any big design goals - being published in a particular magazine, writing a book, etc?
I would love to be published in Knitscene-one of my favorite magazines as a knitter. The designs are fun and trendy, with classic elements.

Of your designs, which one is your favourite so far?
I can’t pick a favorite of my designs. I’d risk offending them. :)


Strawberry Patch Handwarmers
I think these are rather cute, I'm a bit of a sucker for strawberries though.


What is your favourite yarn - content, weight, etc?
I would say worsted-it’s a good weight for a lot of different items. Alpaca is my favorite fiber-it’s so soft.

Are there any particular yarns that you haven’t tried but would like to?
I have some Madelinetosh in my stash that I haven’t knitted with yet. I plan on trying it next year.

What is your favourite part of the design process?
Knitting! Seeing my ideas coming to life is a lot of fun.


Braided Possibilities
I think the concept here is fun, I can just imagine how fun it was to experiment and find that it really did work!


And your least favourite?
Marketing. I struggle to find the words that really sell it.

Do you do any other crafty things besides knit and crochet?
I’ve tried a lot of crafty things-sewing, cross-stitch, scrapbooking, and jewelry for example. I do them every once in a while. I love to knit because I can pull it out or put it away whenever I want to.

Thanks for having me! I enjoyed sharing my thoughts with you.

As an aside, if you have anything you've been making for the Indie GAL that you haven't posted in the finished objects thread, head over there ASAP, it's nearly over!


This is my first attempt at an interview, and I found it quite fun talking to someone about their approach to design.  I may have to do it again sometime in the future!

No comments: