Tuesday 3 December 2013

Doublet

I love putting woollen singlets on my boys, and I wanted something that would be warm and snuggly and keep their chests warm. I had an idea in my head of what I was looking for, and couldn't find it, so I made it myself.

The first attempt worked pretty well, but I had a few minor things I wanted to tweak. The second incarnation was much better, so I made a third smaller one as well.

The yarn I settled on for the final versions was Skeinz Heritage Merino (167m/50g), which is soft and squooshy, and comes in a nice (albeit small) range of colours.


The two final singlets, in 2 year and 6 month sizes.

The upper half of the singlet is worked flat from a provisional cast on, and then the lower half is worked sideways and grafted closed. The overlapping neckline gives an extra layer over the chest, as well as allowing a smaller neckline to fit over a (proportionally large head).


This was a very obliging model!


I had planned to get some nice quiet playing pictures in the morning, but when I looked on the camera this was the best one from the night before! (Trying on daddy's socks).

It was a long road getting this pattern ready to publish, and I thought about just leaving it as a personal pattern, but I figured that if I wanted to keep making them for my boys then there may be other people out there looking for the same sort of thing!

Available through Ravelry for NZ$7.00 (plus a 20% discount until the end of December 10th NZ time).




No comments: