Monday, 22 April 2013

Not so many finishes this week

I don't think I've finished anything since the last post, and I definitely don't have any new photos. The stocking embroidery continues slowly, I've nearly finished the first of three pattern pages, there will be a photo when I reach that milestone.

I am now half way through the shawl I'm currently knitting, I will be very pleased when it is done. I could take a photo, but at the moment it just looks like a crumpled heap of blue, pink and brown.

I have been very slack about hemming napkins (ugh, hemming), and I really should just get them out of the way. Mostly by the time I get the chance to sit down with them I just want something more mindless, and less tedious to work on though.

It is definitely autumn now, plenty of rain over the last little while and the temperatures are definitely dropping now. We haven't started up the fire yet (still need to move a few things off the top of the fireplace), but the heat pump has been on a few times.

Sunday, 14 April 2013


Firstly, an old finish that I never posted here. The Monkey now fits into his Christmas jumper, just in time for the weather to cool down a bit. I had kind of hoped that the timing would work out, but you never can tell with these things.

This weekend I have managed to finish making a rain jacket.

And make a pair of trousers, which are only marginally too long at the moment. Pattern for both pattern and pants is Burda Kids 9828. Jacket is 12 months, plus a bit of extra length (for a skinny boy), pants are 2 years and are slightly too long at 19 months.

And I finished sewing up a blanket, but it still needs edging. Not quite sure what I will do there, probably something with crochet.

The stocking progress also continues slowly. I haven't got too much more to go until I can move on to the next page of the pattern though!

Thursday, 11 April 2013


And here's something I have been working on for far too long:

Radler - a lace shawl

This is a top down knitted shawl pattern, that can be worked to any size. There are optional beads at the centre and edging.

Pattern available for sale here

I got the first draft of the pattern written up a year and a half ago, and then went and had a baby. It has taken me until now to actually get it finished and ready to publish! I'm hoping the next one will be a little quicker, although I'm not counting on it.

Tuesday, 9 April 2013

Name Change

I've been thinking about changing the name of this blog for a while, and now that I've pretty much committed to putting more time into other crafts and less into weaving for a while I'm going to make the leap. Originally I was stuck in the mindset of creating a new blog, but recently realised that was unnecessary. So the URL is the same, just a new title (which I think encompasses more of the fibre arts than the old one).

So without further ado, introducing the blog of StringHerder! (It may eventually get a makeover too).

Sunday, 7 April 2013

A sadly familiar sight

My current craft room just isn't really big enough for the loom and everything else, and it wasn't realistic that I was going to get much weaving done over the next year or so anyway. So it has been dismantled again. With any luck we'll have a new house to put it in before I miss it too terribly, in the meantime I have a table loom anyway. (And plenty of other crafty stuff to keep busy with).