Thursday 12 February 2015

Swift

The swift is done!


(The colours are much more accurate in this photo than in the last block)

I think this went together more smoothly than last time, although it is a little wonky on one edge. I'm happy to fudge that if/when required in piecing the birds together, whatever I end up doing with them. I didn't bother starching, and still had less trouble with the fabrics not being particularly firm, so I'm assuming that having some idea about that going in made a bit of a difference. I definitely got better at judging where to put the pieces of fabric to get them to cover their allocated area properly. And I only sewed one piece in wrong-side out!

I did end up with a couple of places where I misjudged and ended up with a little bit of selvedge showing, but I'm not too worried about it, and am willing to call it a learning experience. (Or, I didn't have the heart to undo more seams...)

I ran out of bobbin thread on the second to last seam, so I just grabbed a darker blue that I had handy, which seems to have worked out okay. I need to do some other sewing before I start on the next block, but I'm not sure what will be up next. At least I have an empty bobbin if I choose something I don't already have thread wound for.

One thing I'm not quite sure about with this paper piecing is when I should be removing the paper. I haven't taken any out, and I'm thinking it will probably be okay to leave in until the whatever-it-is is assembled. I think with the twill fabrics having the paper in for stability for as long as possible is probably a good plan. Does anyone out there have any advice for me on that?

3 comments:

FutureCat said...

That checked fabric looks really good!

I usually leave the paper in until I sew the finished block into something. I don't know if it's necessary, but with all the different directions the fabric is going, I worry it will get stretched out of square too easily if I remove the paper too soon.

The only exception is if there are tiny pieces very close to a seam - sometimes I'll pick the paper out of them before I sew the seam, just because it's such a pain to do it once they're tucked away under the seam and hard to see.

Rachelle said...

Your swift is looking good. I've not done paper piecing so can't help with that.

Juliet @ Tartankiwi said...

Yay for paper piecing getting easier! Great job. It really is a case of trying lots of things and working out what works for you.
I'm about to start writing a post with paper piecing FAQ's so I'll try to remember to include a bit about when I remove papers.