Sunday 25 May 2014

Gumboots galore!

A week ago I decided I really needed to make some slippers for the monkey, so I went hunting for a pattern. I'd decided I wanted to try crocheting something, and when I saw these I knew they were perfect. He loves wearing his gumboots, so what could be better than warm woolly boots?

The pattern is Booties Toddler Goshalosh Boots by Elizabeth Alan (The Lovely Crow), and I was pleasantly surprised by all the little shaping details. To be honest, I think having different shaping on right and left is a bit unnecessary for toddler slippers, but it does make them even cuter. (I have no expectation that they'll ever go on the correct feet...). I love the firm edging on the sole too, makes it seem much more like a slipper than just a glorified sock.

The first pair I made was theoretically the right size (Size B), but I didn't bother checking gauge because I am slack. They fitted just, but would have been better being a bit longer. I'm not worried, the baby will grow into them. So I did the next size up (C), which was a better length, but a bit roomier in the foot than he really needs. I'm not going to blame the pattern for that though, he has narrow feet (some shoes are pretty ridiculous on him too).

And since I was on a slipper kick I made the smallest size too, for the Changeling.

The slipper horde:


I think my crochet has definitely improved over the course of these slippers, although there is still plenty of room for improvement. I feel like I have learnt a lot about shaping in crochet too. Creating a design like this still seems like a bit of a black art, but I'm feeling quite tempted to try to come up with a me-sized version at some point.

No comments: