Monday 15 July 2013

Spinning

I have been taking part in the Tour de Fleece on ravelry for the last couple of weeks, which means that I have been making an effort to do a bit of spinning every day. So far I have finished the first skein from the new wheel:


Merino dyed by Anna Harris, 570m/93g. I was expecting/aiming for about 400m, so I was quite surprised how much more length I got out of it. I'm not complaining though, fine is good - it made me feel a bit better about how long it took to ply too...

After that I started on some Halfbred from Heavenly Wools, in Salamander on Dark Grey (purples and greens). It is definitely a bit different to spin after the merino, and I'm really enjoying it. I've definitely come to the conclusion that I prefer other fleeces to merino, both for working with and for wearability (although it is nice to snuggle some super-squishy merino every now and then).

I have done quite a bit more than this, but all you can see on the bobbin in later photos is greens, this gives a better hint of the full colour range, even though it has only just started into the green at this point. I am planning to navajo ply this to keep the colours nice and crisp, and with any luck it will turn into something suitable for making a nice winter hat.

No comments: